Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Obama on Iraq

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/2008-presidential-candidates/issues/candidates/barack-obama/#iraq



Obama states that he has been opposed to this war since the very beginning. He said that he supports beginning the withdrawal of the troops from Iraq immediately. He says with the plan that he introduced in January 2007, we would have begun withdrawing forces engaged in combat operations about a year ago, on May 1, 2007. I absolutely agree with him on this issue. He says “A withdrawal of our troops is the best leverage we have to press the Iraqi political leaders to make the political compromises necessary to end their civil war.” I totally agree with that statement. I think that maybe if we pullback our troops we could definitely end this war, and not have to risk the lives of any more thousands of troops that we already are. For nothing! And I take this war personally because I have a cousin over there fighting right now and also my brother is in the military about to go over there. And I don’t want to risk the lives of my family over this stupid war for nothing.

Obama states, “Under my plan, we would begin withdrawing troops immediately. I would maintain a follow on force in and around Iraq to protect ongoing U.S. interests there, including counter-terrorism operations, training and force protection. Since success in stopping this civil war requires a political solution among Iraq's leaders, I have proposed a diplomatic surge in Iraq and in the neighboring countries. My plan to end the war also seeks to use policy measures now to ensure that our troops are not confronted with destabilizing ethnic strife that undercuts regional stability later.” I think that this is a great plan, and that it would be very successful. Obama sounds like he knows what he wants and that he is very confident that his idea and plan will work. His plan will also save thousands of lives of our troops. This war has cost us SO MUCH blood, and lives, and money and we don’t need to do that anymore. I love that Obama’s first priority would be to end the war in Iraq. I agree that this war has done nothing good for us and has only stretched our military, and undermined the view of the United States worldwide. We are fighting a pointless war, and have done nothing except lose thousands of lives of our troops.

Obama also says, “Ending the war in Iraq will permit us to develop a comprehensive strategy against terrorism, which will be another chief national security priority of my administration.” I think that he is right and he gives so many good plans on how to ensure that we are taking sufficient actions against the terrorists and have good and promising security. I believe that Obama really knows what he wants to do, and can really end the war, and has good strategies and plans for national security and I believe that if he is elected, he will make a great change in our country and finally bring our troops home for good.

No comments: